The IDRBT in collaboration with the University of Hyderabad (A Central University and Institution of Eminence) offers a unique M.Tech. in Information Technology (with specialisation in Banking Technology and Information Security).
This four-semester course, is aimed at creating a pool of responsible and resourceful IT professionals for the Banking and Financial sector. It is designed to impart in-depth knowledge and expertise to the students through innovative learning, supported by high calibre research and technology leadership.
The programme derives its strength from the fact that the Banking and Financial Sector is becoming increasingly dependent on Information Technology to retain its competitiveness and adapt to the ever-evolving business environment. This service industry has to rely on technology to face the challenges posed by the global village in the new economy. Despite the large variety of the Information Security techniques and tools in existence today, they are not flexible and fast enough to be used straightaway for the next generation Information Technologies. Extensive research and development efforts are required for deployment of Information Security products and services for the Banking and Financial Sector, and this programme is precisely aimed at creating professionals who can do it all.
This multi-disciplinary programme seeks to merge the new and emerging technologies in the arena of Information Technology with the domain expertise in the ever-changing field of Banking and Financial services. This programme is designed to be a powerful launching pad for a highly rewarding professional career in Banking Technology and Information Security.
The curriculum consists of courses on Core Computer Science, Banking Technology, and Information Security and provides a perfect mix of the various aspects of Computer and Information Security, which is essential for Banking Technology to succeed. The learning/teaching process is significantly interactive and includes:
- Lecture-cum-discussions by IDRBT and University of Hyderabad Faculty
- Collective learning and knowledge sharing through group-based, and other interactive activities
- Individual learning through guided assignments; Computer-based learning and audio-visual aids
- Case studies, exercises, simulation, project work, field visits, etc.
This innovative programme helps the student to:
- Develop the knowledge and skills necessary to understand the relationship between Banking Technology, Information Security and Advanced Information Systems Technology
- Develop perspectives required for effective Information Security Managers, Administrators and Practitioners
- Develop advanced competencies associated with technical, supervisory, policy and related positions in Information Security and Computer Science
- Carry out advanced preparation in Banking Technology by relating the technical and human components of Information Security in the administration of Banking and Finance Sector
- Develop core competencies in Database and Information System Design, Financial Networks and Software Product Development.
The courses taught during the first year of the M. Tech. Programme are as under:
- Advanced Operating Systems
- Optional Core –I : Banking Tech. & Payment Systems; Data Engineering; Computer Networks
- Optional Core -II : Banking Tech. & Payment Systems; Data Engineering; Computer Networks
- Elective – I
- IT Lab (OS & Algorithms)
- DS & Programming Lab
During the second year (Semester III & Semester IV), the students of the programme carry out a year-long project at focussed on Banking and Financial Technology at IDRBT.
Admissions to the M.Tech in Information Technology (with specialization in Banking Technology and Information Security) is done by the University of Hyderabad on an all-India basis. Further, the minimum qualification for admission to the course is as under:
- First class with minimum of 60% marks in Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology (B.E/B.Tech)/ MCA/M.Sc. in (Computer Science/ Information Science/ Electronics) and valid GATE score in Computer Science & Information Technology
How to Apply
Interested candidates may respond to the annual advertisement for various academic programmes of the University of Hyderabad, generally released in various national newspapers.