- Ph. D. BITS-Pilani
- M.S. in Information Technology from Capella University, Minneapolis, USA in 2004
- B.E. in Computer Science and Technology from University of Roorkee, India in 1997.
- Computer Networks
- Multimedia Systems
- Mobile Applications
- Worked as Visiting Faculty in BITS-Pilani, Hyderabad Campus from February 2011 to December 2017 and July 2018-December 2018
- Worked as Senior Software Engineer at Microsoft India Development Center, Hyderabad from March 2009 to February 2011
- Worked as Principle Engineer at Motorola Global Software Group, Bangalore from December 2005 to March 2009
- Worked as Principle Engineer at Motorola Inc. at Horsham, PA, USA from July 2004 to December 2005
- Worked as Sr. Engineer at Motorola Inc. San Jose, CA, USA from February 2000 to July 2004
- Worked as Wipro Global R&D, Bangalore from July 1997 to February 2000.
- Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) for DeitY funded project on "Automated Detection of Security and Privacy Threats in Peer-to-peer Networks" from 2011-2015
- Co-chair for ICDCIT: Student Symposium 2013 and Industry Symposium 2014
- "Thomason Memorial Medal" for the Best Engineering Design (project) – 1997
- Thakur, Abhishek, R. Sathiyanarayanan, and Chittaranjan Hota. "STEEP: Speed and Time-based Energy Efficient Neighbor Discovery in Opportunistic Networks." Wireless Networks (2018): 1-22
- Thakur, Abhishek, Arnav Dhamija, and Tejeshwar Reddy G. "VECTORS: VidEo Communication Through Opportunistic Relays and Scalable Video Coding." Accepted for publication in SoftwareX
- Singh, Kamaldeep, Sharath Chandra Guntuku, Abhishek Thakur, and Chittaranjan Hota. "Big Data Analytics Framework for Peer-to-peer Botnet Detection using Random Forests." Information Sciences 278 (2014): 488-497.
- Takawale, Harshvardhan C., and Abhishek Thakur. "Talos App: On-Device Machine Learning Using TensorFlow to Detect Android Malware." 2018 Fifth International Conference on Internet of Things: Systems, Management and Security. IEEE. 2018
- Abhishek Thakur, Chittaranjan Hota. "Quality of Service Enforcing Centrally Optimized Routing for Delay Tolerant Networks." The 18th International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC 2015). 2015
- Abhishek Thakur, Ankesh Kumar "Improving Segmentation Accuracy for Motion Detection using Bidirectional Video Processing." The 18th International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC 2015). 2015
- Thakur, Abhishek, and Chittaranjan Hota. "Designing an Extensible Communication Platform for Rural Area." In ICACCI, pp. 1348-1355. 2014
- Arpit Tripathi, Optimisations in 5G Networks, Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad. In progress since 2020
- Neha Joshi, Cross-Layer and Cross-Network Optimization for Live Video Streaming in 5G Networks, Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad. In progress since 2019